Window treatments have several perks. Not only are they functional and aesthetically pleasing, but they can also help to manage the temperature in your home.
These are just a few of the perks of window treatments; there’s no reason not to have them in your home, even if you aren’t planning on changing anything soon.
But how do you know which is the best window treatment option for your home in Denver, CO?
If you are already considering installing window coverings, you know of the three main types: blinds, shades, and shutters.
One of these options is not better than the other; it’s just a decision you’ll need to make for yourself. You can’t go wrong with any of these choices, but you must decide which will work for your window and match the rest of your home.
If you want to make things easier on yourself, then finding a professional will be the best option. That way, you can plan your home and leave the details for us.
To help you out, we have discussed these three main options, highlighting their differences, advantages, disadvantages, and types.
Instead of going with just anything from the shelf with no idea of how it works, you’ll be able to choose confidently and find something that fits your needs, tastes, and preferences.
Let’s get to it!
What are blinds: They are a set of slats attached by a string, cord, or chain and control the light flow in your home. They are often installed above or inside the window’s recess or attached to the windowsill.
With the help of the cord, chain, or string, they can block out all light, open up to let in a lot of light, or let in just a bit.
Blinds are often used on a large scale, especially in office buildings where they cover large windows with their constant busyness.
They can also fit homes with extra-long slats. The best part is you can use the blinds with any window and close them when you want. You can also use them together with sheers.
Blinds are available in various colors, fabric types, sizes, and dimensions. They can also fit your home’s architecture and theme if you want to use them as an interior design tool.
Blinds come with several options: cordless slats, some with pull cords, some that have a chain system, and others that you operate with remote control. Some custom blinds have more than one option, so you can choose what will work best for your home.
Blinds can also be categorized into wood blinds, faux wood blinds, mini blinds, and vertical blinds.
- They are very efficient in blocking unwanted light
- They give you the freedom to choose how much light you want coming into your space without needing to control them every day.
- They fit with various styles and themes, so you’ll always have something that fits your taste.
- They are very versatile; they can be used as a room partition, a light filter, or a privacy screen.
- The space between the slats is adjustable to your liking. You can block out too much light or let in just enough.
- They are not as energy efficient as other window treatments
- They can break under stress and strain. Because of how they are attached and how easy it is for them to move around
What are shades: They are thin fabric panels that provide privacy without blocking out the light. Unlike blinds, shades are of fabric material.
They are often installed inside the window recess and are held up using a bracket and hold-down device.
Shades come in various colors, designs, fabrics, and patterns; you can find them with standard construction, honeycomb, or cellular design.
They are available in different sheers, including grommet tops, pleated, and pinch pleats. Shades come in all different sizes, depending on how much light you want to filter through.
If you want to make your window treatments customizable, then shades can also be made to fit your recess. This is perfect for a room with many windows; you don’t want to block off a whole wall.
The main types of shades are roman shades, roller shades, cellular shades, pleated shades, motorized, panel tracks, natural woven shades, solar shades and dual shades.
- They are the most energy efficient out of all the options.
- They offer excellent privacy because no one can see in or out from outside unless you open the curtains.
- They have a versatile design that gives you as many options for customization as you need.
- You don’t have much freedom when it comes to light control.
- The fabric can wear thin, and you get a tear in your window treatment.
What are shutters: They are a series of hinged wooden slats attached to the window and can be drawn closed to keep light and provide privacy. Moreover, they offer excellent light control and can be used as an exterior barrier.
Shutters come in wood or wood-look, galvanized steel, or aluminum. Depending on your preference, you can choose the style you like most.
Shutters come in many types and sizes, depending on your needs. They can be used on a standard window, a large picture window, or on an entire wall.
You can also find them with or without glass, so you can use them as a screen that lets in the light.
- They are perfect for blocking out unwanted light and offering privacy.
- They are very durable and withstand extreme weather conditions.
- It’s easy to control the amount of light that comes in through your windows.
- They are customizable to fit your needs.
- Shutters have better energy efficiency; they will keep the temperature inside your home at its optimum level.
- They don’t need much maintenance and last for years.
- They take up more space than other window treatments
Blinds Vs. Shades Vs. Blinds: What’s the Difference?
The difference between shades and the other two options is pretty straightforward. While shades are fabric, blinds and shutters are made of hard materials like wood, aluminum, or faux wood.
What about shutters and blinds? How do they differ?
The main difference is in the size and installation. Shutters tend to be larger. You can buy them in any length, width, and height, but you’ll most likely have to hire a professional for installation.
Shutters have a more traditional look, and the installation is pretty much the same as with blinds. However, shutters always install inside the window frame and are fixed/stationary.
Blinds, on the other hand, can be attached to your window frame or placed inside your window recess. Shutters can also be installed both outside the window and inside, but blinds are solely for the insides.
Blinds are also easier to install compared to shutters.
How Do You Decide Which One is Right for You?
When choosing window treatments, you must always consider what is most important.
- Do you want them to be able to block out light? If yes, then shades are your best bet. However, shutters and blinds are the best options if you want to see in and out and get more freedom in controlling the light entering your room.
- Are you looking for something durable? If yes, then shutters are the way to go. They can withstand extreme weather conditions and are perfect for outdoor spaces.
- Do you need something easy to install and maintain? If so, then you should go with shades or blinds. They require little maintenance, a few swipes with a cloth, and they’re ready to go.
- Are you looking for something versatile? If so, then blinds are the perfect option for you. They work with virtually any window and can be made to fit in any recess.
- Do you need a modern and sleek look? If yes, then blinds and shades are the things for you. They are minimalistic and are perfect for contemporary spaces.
- Lastly, do you prefer a traditional look? If yes, then shutters are the way to go. Their conventional design is ideal for country homes, and they do not require much maintenance.
Ultimately, there are lots of options with window treatments. You do not have to settle for something mediocre if you choose the right one for your needs.
A window covering can make a huge difference in your home, so take your time and pick the perfect option. If you don’t like anything, talk to the professionals and ask for recommendations.
Get Expert Window Treatment Services in Denver, CO
Contact us at 720) 507-8996.
Denver, CO, offers a diverse population, and we have window treatment products and services to help you keep your home looking sharp!
At Sterling Shades and Shutters, we offer complete custom window treatments, including shutters, blinds, shades, exterior shades, and more.
We offer excellent customer service and free design consultation to help you decide which window treatments are best for your needs.
Our expertly trained and certified staff can assist you in selecting the best window treatment solutions for your home.
Whether you want to replace your existing window treatments or install new ones, our experts can help you find the right window coverings.
Request a free virtual design consultation now.